I’ve added a new section under the GO menu for Baking, recipes and food.
And, I’ve posted the first of my mother’s collected recipes from her 1963 Diary and Cookbook – my Aunt’s basic biscuit recipe. Updated, tested and published today the biscuits (cookies for those of a northern hemispheric nature) are light, not too sweet, buttery and able to be baked with a multitude of toppings. Here’s one suggestion baked today:
Head to the GO menu and look under the recipe area for the new page.
I’ve added a new section for Electronics & I.T. projects. Currently there are two pages underneath that main heading:
As of today there are no Arduino projects, they are coming soon. In the meantime I’ve begun to add pages for the first Raspberry Pi project that I’m working on – A Windows Active Directory Domain Controller using Linux and SAMBA.
There are additional pages for tools and tips also and these are available from the GO main menu item. Let me know if you try any of these projects. I’ll keep them updated and add new pages as I finish the steps throughout the project.
There are two reasons for this post. Firstly I’m partway through the build of a 1:48th scale F-111E fighter-bomber. Secondly I’m also working on an edX course from the University of Queensland – UQx’s Write101x! English Grammar and Style. Who doesn’t want to write and use the English language with more flair?
Act in Haste, repent at Leisure is an aphorism. An aphorism is a pithy observation containing a general truth. Thus the story of my F-111E Boneyard Build – The Junkyard Dog – begins. It all started at the Modellers of Ballarat annual show on a cool April day a couple of years ago. Involving spare cash, a vague idea over-percolated in the back of my brain and an unloved F-111E kit in 1:48th scale sitting on someone’s pile of kits to trade.
First off, this model kit is neither good nor bad. The kit has build issues that in hindsight the model makers should have overcome to make a more buildable kit. All other issues aside the kit does a reasonable job of representing the real aircraft. During my research on the aircraft I’ve learned that there are many aftermarket parts available to doll the old girl way up should you want to do just that. My intention was to build the kit straight out of the box; giving me some time away from building and weathering railway models. Opening the box I noted no parts broken and that all the sprues were intact. This is always a good sign for a second-hand kit. The kit instructions were straightforward and the model appeared to be easy to build.
Starting the build
I started the build process by putting extra weight in the nose, using round fishing weights hammered to fit and attached with superglue, to make sure that the model would not drag its tail and leave the nose in the air. After putting in the wheel well and cockpit I glued the two nose halves together. My next step was to test fit the canopy. It was here where the original plan went out the window. Sun Tzu said that no plan survives first contact with the enemy and as I sat contemplating what next, I knew was taking enemy fire.