Electric Parcel Motors (CM) 

A little history

In 1921, a decision was made to supplement the mail/newspaper distribution fleet with double-ended electric motor cars, having the interior of a typical bogie guards’ van of the CE/CW/CV types.

Coaches 1CM and 2CM entered service in 1921, with a capacity of 25 tons each. In 1923, they were joined by a third vehicle, 3CM. That was partially paid for by the Electrical Engineering Branch, with a modified design featuring a centre cupola for viewing the overhead wires. 3CM was run with the normal fleet but was made available for overhead wire inspection if and when required. CMs 4 and 5 entered service in 1925 and 1926 respectively, both using the new arch/curved roof style between their two cupolas.

The fleet was used for cash transport, and as a staff-only taxi service for the use of crew members scheduled to start work between 3 am and 5 am (before the regular services started operating).

Extra coaches were built in the mid-1950s using former Swing Door carriages. The parcels coach traffic dried up in 1988 when a railways’ policy change saw a switch to road transport. Correspondence to stations is now delivered on a few select trains per week, noted in advance.



The Melbourne Tait train pages on Wikipedia

Website Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: