The process of adding the dock areas appeared to be so simple. All the parts were designed to fit, it should have been nice and simple. Should.
In reality it took a lot of shimming, maneuvering, and work to get these right. The first time I foolishly believed that those same engineers had taken care to make these parts easy to add to the outside. And they had. But they’d missed something. And so I found myself having to shim between the dock parts (which side to side, went together perfectly) and the foundation wall to get things straight. No gallery this time just a couple of larger photos for you to look over should you be building something similar in the future.
The main issues seems to be that the dock pieces are not square.They taper at the back which causes the docks to dip away from the horizontal, the base coming in toward the foundation pieces.
While the docks fit reasonably well into the brick wall of the building there were gaps that needed filling. So out came the Squadron white filler and as you can see quite a lot was needed. I also did the sides of the docks where they met with the foundation to cover up the gaps and ensure that the dock looked like poured concrete.
The final step for me was to add to the edging provided on the casting with Evergreen shapes. Most of the docks I’ve seen have either wood, metal (as I’ve chosen to model in this case) or in later years rubber to protect the concrete from trucks backing too hard into the dock itself and chipping the face away. This in turn leads to quick failure of the structure as the rebar is uncovered and rust creeps in.
Next>> Lighting and Electrics
You must be logged in to post a comment.